Hello everybody,

This post is meant to keep everybody updated on what is being done in #17898
[1]. See also the previous sage-devel thread [2].

The problem:

   Because a function named IntegerListsLex returns wrong results [5] and does
   not check its input, a stopgap [3] was added in #17548 [4]. As this function
   is used by *many* others, a warning appears in *many* combinat functions.

   It has been claimed that some of these functions are correct despite relying
   on IntegerListsLex, and that the warning worries users needlessly.

What #17898 does:

   The branch at #17898 *removes* the stopgap from IntegerListsLex without
   fixing the function, but a stopgap is shown to whoever calls IntegerListsLex
   *directly* from Sage (only the version of IntegerListsLex in the global
   namespace shows the warning).

Consequences:

   All internal calls to a function which we *know* [5] returns wrong results
   occasionally will *NOT* display a warning (and this function is called
   indirectly in a lot of places).

   Of course, all "hidden" calls to IntegerListsLex by regular users (i.e. when
   we call "Partitions" from the [command line/notebook]) do *not* display a
   warning either.

I personally believe that what we are about to do is a dangerous lowering of our
standards when it comes to wrong results. This is a danger to our own
computations, but also to all users who run this software and trust our work.

I strongly oppose what is being done here, but I do not want to continue the
[positive_review/needs_work] fight from #17898 any further if I am the only one
to find this wrong. Thus, again, I ask for your input.

The problem ahead is the bug, not the warning.

Nathann

[1] http://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/17898
[2] https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/sage-devel/vI8xM
[3] http://www.sagemath.org/doc/developer/trac.html#stopgaps