It appears that sagenb is in maintenance-only, and that for graphical
interface, the IPython notebook is the way forward. The IPython notebook
looks wonderful and will probably be a very able replacement for
single-user scenarios, but it lacks the multiuser capability that sagenb
provides.
I noticed that IPython notebook is now Jupyter, and that there *IS* a
multiuser offshoot for that now: Jupyterhub. Does anyone here have
experience deploying Jupyterhub and/or using it to interface with sage? It
looks like a very attractive option for cases where SageMathCloud isn't
appropriate.

The blog post here:

https://developer.rackspace.com/blog/deploying-jupyterhub-for-education/

looks promising as far as how mature Jupyterhub is, but I have no idea how
it would work with sage.

Comments and insights welcome!

Nils