On Sunday, March 29, 2015 at 5:23:53 PM UTC+2, jplab wrote:

> What do you think?

Hi, sorry to spoil the party. I'm strongly against changing the logo in
such a substantial way.  I'm happy with slight adoptions or creating
"doodles" (temporary modifications with a specific theme) but not a change
like that.

There are two main reasons for me:
The logo itself is the work of a professional designer. It's crucial to get
all details right for such an important piece of graphics, and that's the
reason why the logo works on display, as a small App Icon (IOS or Android)
or as large as a poster printout. Just using the generic output of any
graphics engine might look nice on first glance, but details do matter and
it would need some manual work to fix it. That's why there exists the
profession "graphics designer" on its own, where talented people learn how
to do this properly. (Mathematican's wouldn't want any lay person to make
proofs which just look neat but are nonsense, either). Concretely for the
logo above, the outer ring of the dots do not align with the lines, there
is no 3D effect (varying dot sizes and line thicknesses) and the dashed
background lines might cause troubles at smaller scale.

The second reason is, that after more than 6 years (I think?) it is already
pretty iconic and many can identify it. It has been used in many places,
sticker, poster, apps, and even advertisements in academic journals. A
change like that would kill all this.

... and finally, it has already been mentioned that there are others who
have a semi-transparent icosahedron as their logo. I know about the AMS,
but I'm sure there might be others.

And besides all that, would you be the maintainer of the logo? In the last
years I got quite a few emails about the logo, where some wanted it in a
special variation, a size, needed handholding for some adoptions /
file-format changes or other (rather fuzzy) requests. So, it's much more
than just replacing it on a couple of places, but an ongoing task. Just a
warning ;-)

-- harald