On 04/22/2015 02:05 PM, Volker Braun wrote:
> On Wednesday, April 22, 2015 at 12:07:53 AM UTC-4, leif wrote:
>
>     Hmmm, I also tried that yesterday (with SAGE_NUM_THREADS=8) but none of
>     the python processes was consuming more than 1 GB (in fact less)
>

> Same here. That is because 5gb / 8 < 1gb.

8 * (0.8 GB - c) = 5+ - c GB

I was simply expecting c to be bigger.  (0.8 GB is already rounded up.)

So, like you say, apparently neither the memory usage /per file/ nor the
peak of some files did grow much, since all of the eight processes
comsumed about the same amount of memory, which wasn't clear (or rather
the question) in the beginning.

(Btw, the OP spoke of "more than 2.5 GB virtual memory used", but we now
know that that wasn't the peak usage, since cythonization got interrupted.)

-leif