IMHO the question really is about "what constitutes a binary install".
Presumably the answer is something like "the sage launcher script, and the
SAGE_LOCAL tree". This is not true right now, and IMHO there are bigger
fish to fry than $PATH. For example, the documentation output is in
src/doc. I don't really care whether we a) only add src/bin in a dev tree
or b) make an extra install target for scripts. Also, scripts and auxiliary
binaries that can not / should not be used without Sage shouldn't be in
$prefix/usr/bin, better would be $prefix/usr/libexec/sage