Hi,

I don't have time right now to dig into this and see what's wrong, but
if you do

random_matrix(QQ, 7,4, algorithm='subspaces')

almost always it fails, saying that the rank cannot exceed the number of
rows or columns. The documentation says the rank is generated randomly,
so it seems like the relevant function (random_subspaces_matrix) should
be smart enough to generate a rank that is possible for the given
dimensions.

Sometimes it works, but most of the time it fails with an impossible
rank.

I've created http://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/18384.

(If this is somehow not a bug, let me know and I'll close the ticket.)

Dan

--
---  Dan Drake
-----  www.math.wisc.edu/~ddrake/