On Tue, May 05, 2015 at 11:54:09AM +0200, Jeroen Demeyer wrote:
> I'm sure we are already breaking that specification all over the place when
> coercion is involved.

Indeed. And I get bitten by it every now and then.

> So I see Python's specification as a guideline and something nice to
> have, but I wouldn't refuse a coercion just because of it.

I indeed would not refuse a specific coercion just for this. But in
the long run I believe we should try to keep the reliance on "equality
up to coercion" to a minimum. I.e. ideally not depend on this feature
in the Sage library itself.

Cheers,
                                Nicolas
http://Nicolas.Thiery.name/