> What is the goal of this organization and the relationship with the
> organization that runs SMC? Perhaps a question to the lawyers about the
> coexistence of the two organizations might be a good idea?

I think that is a very good question, and also I think a question that very
often comes up when companies have charitable organizations affiliated with
them (this would in some sense be the reverse) so probably a question that
has well-defined answers, at least in the USA.

I also note that a number of people have asked in the past about whether a
US or European or other foundation would be best (e.g. for granting
purposes), or possibly multiple such - I have no particular opinion on
that, but wanted to remind of those discussions.  It would be worth talking
to R or GAP or other folks on this, perhaps.

- kcrisman