On Sat, Jun 13, 2015 at 1:26 AM, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This is a bummer.  It gives me even more motivation to make
> SageMathCloud Sage-developer friendly.    I'm also curious if anybody
> has any -- possibly *radical* -- suggestions about how to address this
> problem using new ideas.

+1 for a friendlier SMC; I definitely wouldn't mind it not falling
asleep on compile :)

If you are asking for ideas, I'm wondering: how hard would it be to
give the user better information and better options in the case when a
Sage install fails due to a package? In many cases the actual errors
are laughable and the packages far from crucial; particularly optional
packages shouldn't be causing a build to break! I don't know how
flexible makefiles are, but I would love it to wrap the installation
of a package in a way like this:
- If the package installs fine, do nothing extra.
- If it does not, add a clear error at the end of the log, naming the
package and the version. Name the other packages which depend on the
one that didn't install. Tell the user how to sidestep the
installation of the package (at their own risk). Mention the email
addresses of the people that should care about the problem (package
maintainer, build manager, sagedevel?) and what to send them.
- Allow the user to pull an older version of the package.

Would this be difficult?

  Best regards,
  Darij