> This is probably safer than what you have now, since the whitelist entry
> isn't permanent -- it's only for connections you've initiated. With the
> permanent whitelist, someone who takes over git.sagemath.org could try
> to SSH into your machine while you're asleep.
>
> It's also way way way less annoying for you, unless this whole thing is
> some crazy person's attempt to keep you off facebook at work and they
> have to approve the whitelist entries.

It's neither nor.

It is just a powerful virtual machine I own in the universities private
network (and on which I used to do big computations, and now I wanted to
have a patchbot running there). But the machines in the private network are
not allowed to access the internet at all, except for an IP whitelist only
the network admins can update. This has the simple security reason that any
successful attacker of the network is prohibited to download more attacker
tools from his favourite location (or a content delivery farm such as
fastly.net).