On 7/25/15 11:18 AM, Nils Bruin wrote:
On Saturday, July 25, 2015 at 8:17:19 AM UTC-7, Ralf Stephan wrote:

    Well, you got the log(x,y) from the documentation. So we should
    put info on valuation there too. Thanks for the hints.

Please don't. They are quite unrelated. They just happen to agree on perfect powers of the base.

sage: valuation(9,2)
0
sage: log(9,2)
log(9)/log(2)
sage: log(9,2).n()
3.16992500144231

Yes, but if the user knows in advance that the answer will be an integer - as I did - then it makes sense to use valuation() instead of log(), and a carefully worded note to that effect in the documentation could be very helpful to future users.

-Jeremy