On 2015-08-18 12:00, Thierry wrote:
Actually, i do not see why (A) involves more complexity than (B).
1. We need to define how the various options to -i can be combined, in particular the -f option is tricky. 2. The "sage -i" command would need to do two completely unrelated things: act as high-level command to run make and low-level command to actually install a package.

We could get both benefits without much work with (D):

- move the current low-level `sage -i` to, say, `sage -p` (which
   automatically includes `sage -p -c -f` and remains consistent with
   `sage -b` and `sage --docbuild`, so that we keep all the benefits of
   (B)). Replace `sage -i` with `sage -p` in `sage -advanced`.
- consider `sage -i` as the user interface to the current packaging
   system. For now, it could just call `make`, later it could call some
   conda/hashdist/whatever command transparently.
Good for me, since it is very close to my proposal (C) but just with different option names: (-i, -p) instead of (-m, -i)! I hope the other people who voted for (A) can accept this solution too.