On Mon, 24 Aug 2015, Volker Braun wrote:

What would be the benefit over

M2 = M**2
M2.set_immutable()

other than a more cumbersome syntax that requires you to look up the __mul__ docstring to use it?

Speed? I don't know, this is a real question.

I just thinked about difference between matrices, graphs and posets. For matrices we have the set_immutable() function. Posets are always immutable. Graphs can be made immutable at creation time, and a copy() can return a mutable graph from immutable (or immutable from mutable). Would we gain anything if - for example - cartesian_product() would have a immutable-option?

--
Jori Mäntysalo