On Wednesday, September 9, 2015, Jeroen Demeyer <jdeme...@cage.ugent.be>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> as you might know, we currently have two kinds of packages in Sage: the
> old-style .spkg files which were the norm in Sage 5.x and the new-style
> $SAGE_ROOT/build/pkgs packages which are currently the norm.
>
> The question is: to what extent should we continue supporting old-style
> packages?
>
> (A) sage -i OLDSTYLEPKGNAME should just install the package, there is no
> difference with new-style packages from the user's point of view.
> (B) sage -i OLDSTYLEPKGNAME should still work but with a clear deprecation
> warning.
> (C) sage -i OLDSTYLEPKGNAME should still work but only after a "are you
> sure?" confirmation, like we have for experimental packages.
> (D) sage -i OLDSTYLEPKGNAME should give an error.

As I mentioned before I greatly prefer just fixing things so they work, and
I'm really happy to see that much progress was made toward that goal.

Regarding the above I think (b) is the best option given our long
established deprecation policy.   Also if we were to immediately switched
to (d) and I hit it, I would just curse and hack things back to (b) anyways
(and maybe write a post ruminating about deprecation policies).

Our time limit approach to deprecation is kind of odd by the way -- much
more standard these days is semver (semantic versioning) which is something
we have only minimally worried about.

William

> In Sage 6.8 we have (A) and in the latest betas, we have (D). I think that
> (D) is an over-reaction to the problem that some old-style packages are
> confusing or broken.
>
> My personal vote goes to (B) since it still allows non-interactive scripts
> to work like before but it shows a clear message that packages should
> migrate to new-style packages. This is also implemented in #19158.
>
> Jeroen..

Sent from my massive iPhone 6 plus.