Thought I'd share this in case anyone else blundered in the same way I just
did...

I installed 6.8 on an OS X Mavericks (10.9) system on which the
"xcode-select --install" command had not been run.  I ran "sage -upgrade"
to upgrade it.  I then tried to install a custom spkg, which failed in the
configure step.  To fix it, I tried running xcode-select --install, which
had no effect.

Turns out, this was because the Sage environment sets CPATH to an internal
"include" directory, which when I looked at it, contained a "sys"
subdirectory with an empty "cdefs.h" file in it.  Not sure how it got
there, but I'm guessing it's a result of doing the upgrade without having
first run xcode-select.

Once I deleted the "sys" subdirectory from the Sage internal "include"
directory, I was able to install.

Bill