Hi!

On 2015-09-17, Jeroen Demeyer <jdeme...@cage.ugent.be> wrote:
> On 2015-09-16 16:43, Jean-Pierre Flori wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I guess one of the issue is that there is no canonical map between two
>> different representations of the same finite field (so no coercion).
>
> The question is really: is the map between representations of the same
> finite field, which differ only in variable name, "canonical"?

I think that it is in the same way canonical as we have a
name-preserving map between polynomial rings.

The real problem here is that *conversion* gives rise to an error
that mentions *coercion*.

  sage: K.<x> = GF(25)
  sage: L.<y> = GF(25)
  sage: K(y)
  Traceback (most recent call last):
  TypeError: unable to coerce from a finite field other than the prime subfield

That's clearly a bug. Conversion should work, even if it isn't canonical
and thus doesn't qualify as coercion!

Is there no ticket for it already? I think I have seen that issue
before.

Cheers,
Simon