On 1 October 2015 at 14:23, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> One other impression you have is that categories were just bolted on
> by combinatorics people at the end.  However, David Kohel and I
> actually implemented the first round of category-related stuff in Sage
> right at the very, very beginning -- it was one of the first things we
> did, motivated by what David had wished Magma had.

The concept of "parent" is adopted from Magma, right?  I am not sure I
really understand it, either relative to the usual inheritance rules
in Python or category theory.  Clearly the related? concept of
"element" is borrowed from category theory - maybe even topos theory?

Is there a reasonably short description of categories in Sage "for
category theorists"?

>  And it is has
> just been iteratively refined over the users, with Nicolas ThiƩry
> doing by far the most work on it during his sabbatical a few years
> ago.   There was also a lot of input coming from the multiple rounds
> of rewriting of the coercion model, by me, David Roe, Robert Bradshaw
> (especially), and others.

Do you consider the coercion model as part of or motivated by category
theory in Sage?

There was some early work on this in Axiom, e.g.

http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?doid=309831.309944
Automated coercion for axiom
by Nicolas J. Doye

also his thesis:
http://axiom-wiki.newsynthesis.org/public/refs/doye-aldor-phd.pdf

but for the most part I would say that Axiom does not actually
implement coercion in this way.