Hi Tom!

In addition to Travis' reply:

On 2015-10-06, Tom Kitchen <tomkitche...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> I have recently installed sage from source and am trying to implement
> fourier transforms. I wrote a piece of sage code which does the job for
> some function f.
>

> var('t', 'k','x','a')

As much as I know, just doing var('t') in an interactive session will create
a variable called t *and* will insert it into the global name space, so
that subsequently if the user types "t" then the variable t is returned.

However, that's not possible when you create a .py module. There, you
need to assign the resulting symbolic variables to Python variables, which of
course do not necessarily have the same name as the symbolic variables.
So, you could do
  X,Y,Z = var('x', 'y', 'z')
(but probably your symbolic and Python variables should have the same
name, thus, x,y,z=var('x','y','z'))

Best regards,
Simon