> I agree that's better if they will allow it. But I'm not sure some of the
> things SageMath depends on are even still maintained, let alone do all
> projects have the resources to keep maintaining such things, which is
> eventually what they get asked to do. Moreover, not all developers feel
> equally warm and fuzzy when you mention Windows. Some people are positively
> against supporting Windows. So what I am suggesting is a pragmatic
> compromise. And based on what I've seen with Pari, it works quite well. (I
> am sorry, I just haven't had the chance to look up when this porting work
> was done and how often it has been maintained, but I think it was something
> like 2008 or 2010 and with zero maintenance since, and it still works
> today).

I think we risk of mixing different things up. One thing is actively
supporting a Windows port from the point of view of build systems,
providing binary packages, and so on (which people might or might not want
to do due to personal inclinations, time/effort tradeoffs, etc.), another
thing is code quality. The issue above with PARI, for instance, was
affecting Linux x32 as well and it is just poor engineering in general.

I think that a high-quality project not providing support for on a OS as a
"first-class citizen" is fixable with relatively little effort, even if
upstream is not cooperative. To some extent, that is what the packagers of
linux distributions do. But it becomes orders of magnitude more difficult
if the project relies on platform-dependent system calls, libraries, or if
it just happens to work only on specific arch/OS setups.

Personally I don't care about Windows or OSX as a user, but I make sure my
software does compile and run properly on those platforms as a matter of
code quality. Also, as you pointed out, it helps a lot if one starts doing
this early in the development.