On Thursday, 8 October 2015 12:28:36 UTC+2, Jeroen Demeyer wrote:

> On 2015-10-08 12:22, Bill Hart wrote:
> > Currently, projects like Gap require far too much posix to make it easy
> > to build them any other way but with the posix layer, and then it is no
> > longer a native application.
>
> There is one thing I don't understand in this whole discussion: what's
> the problem really with the POSIX layer? Why do you insist on a *native*
> application? Getting Sage to work properly as Cygwin/MSYS2 application
> would already be a great achievement, so why not aim for that?

It's very simple. Julia cannot access non-native dlls. And in fact, neither
can other native binaries.

The Julia devs explain, "Loading and using 2 different C runtime libraries
(the posix cygwin dll, and the non-posix msvcrt used by mingw-w64) from
inside the same application is unlikely to work"

Therefore there would in fact be little overlap between SageMath
requirements (which include posix) and Julia requirements (which exclude
posix).

I suppose there would be some benefit in having libraries fix the
long->long long issues. But it's nowhere near all the way to a native
application. SageMath would indeed benefit. But that doesn't help me or
others working with native apps.

Bill.