On Friday, October 16, 2015 at 2:22:41 PM UTC-7, John Cremona wrote:

> Obviously, any mathematician would expect the mathematically sensible
> answer of "undefined".  And yes, I do know why that is not what
> happens in python.

Wrong, that IS what happens in python

Python 2.7.10 (default, Sep 24 2015, 17:50:09)
>>> complex(1,0)> complex(0,1)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
TypeError: no ordering relation is defined for complex numbers

It's just the mathematical software sage that goes for the mathematically
dubious answer.