Hi Eric,

On 2015-11-05, Eric Gourgoulhon <egourgoul...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Le jeudi 5 novembre 2015 10:32:29 UTC+1, Simon King a =C3=A9crit :
> Yes this is precisely what we had in mind: to delegate the mathematical
> comparison of manifolds to a specific method is_homeomorphic, which
> in most case will answer "I cannot answer" (cf. comments 39 and 40 in=20
> the ticket).=20
> Then if we have both CachedRepresentation and equality-by-identity, then
> we have UniqueRepresentation, don't we?

*Will* you have equality-by-identity?

Certainly, if "A is B" then "A==B" will be True. Actually I am not sure
if A.__eq__ would be invoked at all if you compare to identical objects
(i.e., I don't know what Python does).

But if A is not B and ask "A==B", then you could say that you will do SOME
effort to test for equality in the sense of homeomorphism. I don't know
if you want to do some heuristics here.

Anyway, if you think that equality-by-identity is the right way of
comparison in your applications, then UniqueRepresentation might be the
correct tool.

Best regards,
Simon