> We should follow Python; this has an added benefit of typically keeping
> error messages more concise.

One very common occurrence of a long exception message are the
PackageNotFoundError which happen when one calls a function which relies on
a non-installed package:

        PackageNotFoundError: the package 'my_package' was not found. You
can install it by running 'sage -i my_package' in a shell

Changing the convention would mean that those messages would not be allowed
anymore. I do not see an easy way to be as informative if we change the
convention, and for this reason I believe that the convention cannot be
changed to "only one sentence at most". It is not practical, at least in
this situation.

Another instance, which may be more appealing to you:

    sage: {Graph():1}
    TypeError: This graph is mutable, and thus not hashable. Create an
immutable copy by `g.copy(immutable=True)`

Here again, I think that setting a limit of one sentence per exception
message would only make out error messages *less* helpful.

Thus, I stand for a standard which acknowledges our current usage of
exception messages. If we were to adopt another rule, then the defenders of
that proposal would be very kind to also propose alternate phrasing for the
current multi-sentences exceptions.

Nathann

P.S.: We usually consider a Sage user to be less computer-savvy than a
Python coder. That is another reason to have more explicit error messages
than Python's.