On Friday, December 4, 2015 at 10:48:28 AM UTC+1, Jeroen Demeyer wrote:

> On 2015-12-03 23:39, Jean-Pierre Flori wrote:
> > So my questions are:
> > * why does Cython complains whereas it was able to find the pxd file
> > (just next to the pxi file)?
> Because .pxd files are more like Python modules (except cimported
> instead of imported). They are found in sys.path for example.

Yeah I saw some differences in the way Cython looks for pxd and includes.
There are sys_path and include args for that.

> > * why does it work when building Sage modules?
> I guess because of the include_dirs which are set when Sage is built.
>
> > * should I pass some additional arguments when "installing" pyximport?
> If you can add include_dirs, you could do that.

I should be able and tried to without success (using setup_args).
With the flu and late time I might have screwed up so I'll give it another
shot.

> > * is there a better way to achieve the original goal?
> The goal of using pyximport: don't use .pxi files! This example is a
> good reason why .pxi files shouldn't be for declarations.

Actually I don't want to use pxi file, it is some Sage pxd files which do,
in particular integer.pxd.
(About 14 of them with potential duplicates.)

> The goal of adding a package: just make a Sage package...

Yeah but them I have to mess up with distutils/setuptools which is more
involved than "import bla".
And is also more involved for the end user.
When the code will be clean and reviewed it will make it into sage but
right now it is just a proof of concept to support some research.

And making a Sage branch as I did at first is a no go, "too involved" as
well.