1. Look at what other developpers has done recently:
http://trac.sagemath.org/timeline

2. Consult open tickets sorted by components. Active bugs (1568 tickets),
Need work (187 tickets), Need review (79 tickets), Open Beginner Tickets
(25), Mathematically Wrong Answers (77 tickets), etc. :
http://trac.sagemath.org/wiki/TicketReports

3. Establish some tickets you would like to work on.

4. Work. See developper guide here:
http://doc.sagemath.org/html/en/developer/