Le dimanche 3 janvier 2016 03:52:35 UTC+1, Jonathan a écrit :

> This looks like you are on the correct track.  I would just urge you to
> indicate what features of Sagenb are not available yet.

A few things pop to my mind. I already signaled some f them (some might say
I ranted about them), but I think that they are stumbling blocks.

   - "other language" cells : %maxima and %r (possibly other interpreters
   such as %octave) do not work as expected. Both %maxima and %r open new
   instances of their respective interpreters and enter an REPL that cannot be
   exited (even with an explicit "quit();" or "q('no')". In other words, they
   never return.
   - r("<some call to R graphics>") doesn't display anything in the Jupyter
   notebook, even when bracketed by r.png() and r.dev_off(). You have to save
   (r.dev_copy()) the graph and display it in the notebook explicitely.
   Annoying...

Rpy2 (part of Sage) offers the rpy2.ipython extension, which offer %R loine
magic an %%R celle magic that work well (including graphics) ... in an R
instance different of the one used by sage "r.xxx" functions. The data
interchange  format is different of the one used by the current r interface.

   - The latex (mathjax) interface seems to have a few Jupyter-specific
   quirks. For example, I have been unable to use a "$\frac{a}{b}$" tick
   marker in a Sage jupyter worksheet. I suspect that the Jupyter notebook
   doesn't use the (user-configurable) Latex configuration of Sage n the same
   way as the Sage notebook does.
   - I noted that plot3d seems to call a Web-based  utility for some plots
   (one sees messages related to loading data flashing in the region where the
   jsmol (?) result will be displayed). This might implu that these finctions
   might be unusable on an unconnected system (I didn't check that yet...).
   - In the current implementation, one cannot use some of the features the
   default 3D renderer (jsmol ?). For example, when one attempts animation, a
   right-click displays the relevant options, but one cannot activate them.

> I think things are close to the point that the only significant thing will
> be interacts.  If plotly is installed, I think good interactive 2D and 3D
> graphs will be available.

   - Interacts : In a Python worksheet, ipywidgets offers a nice
   interactive framework, ... which turns out no be non obvious to use from a
   Sage worksheet. A replacement and/or a compatibility layer are needed.
   (Even if we offer a replacement, a compatibility layer might be useful to
   ease transition/conversion of old sagenb worksheets).

Yet another interact interface ? That might be interesting if and only if
the "new" interface has significantl enhancements over the "old" one...

HTH,

--
Emmanuel Charpentier