>>> William
>>>
>>> Just to be clear:  I  don't care whether or not whatever design you
>>> guys are coming up with in this thread is compatible with SMC Sage
>>> worksheets.  SMC provides both Sage worksheets and Jupyter notebooks
>>> on an equal footing; each has its pros and cons, and will continue to
>>> be fully supported (likely with a converter between them, that at
>>> least converts what can be converted).
>>>

>> I would be interested in why SMC provides Sage worksheets if Jupyter is
>> so *clearly* the most superior option.  [Rhetorical question]
>>

> Weird question, given that I literally just wrote "Sage worksheets and
> Jupyter notebooks on an equal footing; each has its pros and cons, and will
> continue to be fully supported". There are many ways in which Sage
> worksheets are superior to Jupyter notebooks, and some very nontrivial
> subtle new things I've been working on the last month that will lead to
> more...

The question wasn't for you, but for all those who early in this thread
said how awesome Jupyter was.  But thank you for confirming.

>> And what of the long-term in Sage itself - would an eventual "SMC
>> personal edition" become the default?  [Not rhetorical but probably too far
>> in the future to speculate]
>>

> No clue.  There's no legal or technical reason it couldn't happen... This
> year it likely won't as SMC is still changing way too much.

So technical reason in the sense that even if someone did it, it would
require a lot of maintenance to keep up with official SMC.

+++

On a less sarcastic note (and my apologies for that) I'm wondering what the
status of Jupyterhub (the multi-user Jupyter, right?) is right now.  Active
development, but so is HURD... not that I am expecting it to take 30 years
to produce!  Just curious if there are any inside scoops.  Proper migration
of entire servers being possible would be a much bigger reason to change
the default.