> Combinatorics is definitely the strongest part of Sage.
>

> Old school combinatorics perhaps. But see
> http://unsexy-science.blogspot.de/2015/10/survey-sage-and-enumerative.html

We also have strong support for algebraic combinatorics with symmetric
functions and its well-known/studied generalizations. There is also a lot
of code by Jean-Baptiste for other combinatorial Hopf algebras. We also
have good support for combinatorial representation theory and some support
for combinatorial geometry. Unfortunately I don't know enough about graph
theory to say how Sage compares with any other CAS, but I would think we
compare quite well. Nathann?

For my part, I would really love it if those who know the code
> involved could finally get rid of the 9999 broken functions that
> everybody inherit from element:

N, base_extend, base_ring, db, dump, dumps, is_zero, n,
> numerical_approx, rename, reset, subs, substitute.

+1 Most of those functions come from old-Sage, where they are all
implemented in the common base class Element. The rename function should
remain there because it allows us to call a SageObject whatever we want,
often to shorten them for demos (quite useful). Many of them should be
moved to the appropriate category or inserting a new ABC into the
hierarchy. It just takes some time and effort to do this kind of
maintenance to make sure nothing will break.

Best,
Travis