Thanks to Andrzej and John for the clarification.  I thought a lot
about this before emailing sage-devel, yet still didn't realize it was
"y(3)" that caused the problem.  Thanks for the help.

On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 3:11 PM, John H Palmieri <jhpalmier...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>  (1) trac #5930 hasn't been touched in *7 years*, and doesn't mention
>> subs anywhere.  Maybe referencing 5930 was a typo?
>
> The patch mentions subs. I'm not an expert in this, but I think it's the
> right ticket.

So we deprecated this 7 years ago?  Yikes.  Also, that patch is 1.2MB,
so it probably mentions everything.

Maybe we should finally really deprecate this, or de-deprecate it, if
we're never going to.

--
William (http://wstein.org)