On 03/04/2016 09:01 AM, kcrisman wrote:

>     The problem, as I see it, is that Sage has built up over the years its
>     own ad-hoc packaging system.  This is actually really cool, because
>     it's what's allowed Sage to be installable on a wide range of
>     platforms!  I think this happened sort of organically over time, as
>     various direct dependencies of Sage couldn't be installed easily on
>     some platforms due to poor support for *those* dependencies'
>     dependencies and so on.
>

> Yes yes you are exactly correct.  For instance the gcc inclusion is
> (largely, not entirely) due to Mac's compiler going down some separate road.
>
> One issue I haven't seen addressed a lot is when a package manager might
> have a different - and, at least for a time, incompatible - version of a
> package in Sage.  How is that/should that be dealt with?  E.g. on gentoo
> I think it's "dealt with" by having a very hard-working kiwifb making
> sure things work out right :) which however isn't scalable.

If you need a new version of libfoo for Sage, you first package the new
version of libfoo before you package the new version of Sage. Then you
make the Sage package depend on the version of libfoo that it wants.

There are tens of thousands of packages in Gentoo/Debian that work that
way. It's the most scalable software distribution mechanism that anyone
has ever devised. If Sage would play along, François would have a lot
less work to do (and other could help him).