On 09/03/16 13:08, William Stein wrote:
On Wed, Mar 9, 2016 at 7:05 AM, Vincent Delecroix
<20100.delecr...@gmail.com> wrote:
One point I think Nathann has right and was not discussed further is the
fact that Sage the distribution is tightly linked to Sage the company. Some
examples:
  - the "forced" change of names by William from Sage to SageMath

Let me remind you that the name change was publicly discussed, during
which *you* said "[...] Good idea. The current situation is
confusing."

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/sage-devel/sagemath$20change/sage-devel/UCfXO7BlyEc/r_A8F-inxx0J

And my opinion somehow changed because of events I did not knew at that time. Note that the "confusion" I had was "Sage the math software" versus "Sage the financial software".

Let me also remind that your argumentation for the name change was (cf first message of the thread): "Sage is used too much" (that I still fully agree with) and not "I want to use the name SageMath for my company and it would be nice to use the same name for the software". This is what I wanted to criticized in my message.

I hope this make it clearer.

Moreover, the cloud service proposed by SageMath Inc is much
more than just Sage.

The mission statement of the SageMath project is create a viable free
open source alternative to Magma, Maple, Mathematica, and Matlab.

Which SageMath? What are the actual implications of a mission statement? For me it is like a jingle, ie just for marketing.

Vincent