On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 11:34 AM, Fredrik  Johansson
<fredrik.johans...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Minor correction: RR exponents are not *arbitrary* precision, though much
> higher precision than RDF. This still happens:
>
> sage: RR("1e99999999999999999999")
> +infinity
>
> RBF, mpmath, and (if I remember correctly) also Python's Decimal do have
> arbitrary precision exponents. You can do this:

Thanks for pointing out that mpmath has arbitrary exponents -- I
wasn't aware of that and it could come in handy.

>> I called it "RealField" for consistency with Magma, which has
>> precisely the same model.  Consistency with Magma is valuable.
>>

> IMHO, it's a mistake to look at any single software for guidance. Magma,

Sure -- I was just explaining why it is called RealField.  In 2004
mpmath didn't exist.

> ...] My own biased opinion is also that interval arithmetic should
> be used and encouraged more in Sage...

Interval arithmetic is pretty good and a lot more could be done with
it.  A lot was in place in Sage before interval arithmetic was
available (in Sage), or it might be used more.

William (http://wstein.org)