On Fri, Mar 18, 2016 at 10:32 AM, Jeroen Demeyer <jdeme...@cage.ugent.be> wrote:
> On 2016-03-18 04:10, David Roe wrote:
>>
>> Here's a use case where the recent changes to relocatability are really
>> annoying.  I'd like 6 sage installs in an SMC project so that different
>> groups at Sage Days 71 can work independently.  So I tried building a
>> copy from source and then copying it five times.
>

> In the time since the start of this thread, you could easily have compiled
> Sage 6 times already. Especially so if you use ccache (the cache would be
> shared among those 6 builds).

1. I think he did (based on the top output I posted).

2. He's experimenting with a collaborative model for coding on projects
during a Sage Days, and history suggests Sage Days 71 won't be the
last Sage Days.  Hence it's interesting to find ways to do this more
efficiently.

3. More generally, for SMC, it's useful, for the sake of Sage
development, to have a way to setup a sage dev environment as quickly
as possible for user experience reasons, and as efficiently as
possible to better make use of resources.

Things are often backwards between academia and industry; efficiency
is critical to compete in industry, but inefficiency is often
encouraged in academia.    I want SMC to compete.

 - William

William (http://wstein.org)