On Fri, Mar 25, 2016 at 5:05 PM, Volker Braun <vbraun.n...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hyper-V is not, and has historically not been, an option for distribution
> software because its not part of all Windows versions. From
> https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/virtualization/hyperv_on_windows/quick_start/walkthrough_compatibility
>
> The Hyper-V role can be enabled on these versions of Windows 10:
>
> Windows 10 Enterprise
> Windows 10 Professional
> Windows 10 Education
>
> The Hyper-V role cannot be installed on:
>
> Windows 10 Home
> Windows 10 Mobile
> Windows 10 Mobile Enterprise

And down to Windows 8, but again only on the "Pro"/"Enterprise"
editions.  So yes, this seems mostly suitable for running Docker as a
service on Windows (there are some experimental Windows Server docker
containers as well), but as you write less so for software
distribution.

Fortunately the current VirtualBox-based approach works rather well
modulo the HAV requirement.  It just requires a little more work to
set up (all of which is hidden away by my installer).