On Friday, April 1, 2016 at 4:19:08 PM UTC+2, Erik Bray wrote:

> One of my top wishlist items for Python 4 is some kind of __hasattr__
> special method for classes and/or an equivalent for descriptors that
> merely guarantees* that accessing the attribute of that name will not
> result in an AttributeError.  That would be extremely useful for
> checking attribute availability without computing / returning a value

IMHO its generally bad to raise exceptions from @properties. Besides the
obvious usability issue (why does tab completion raise a ZeroDivision
error?), properties shouldn't have side effects. You are just querying the
state of your object. And since you'd never allow an internally
inconsistent object to be built, there just can't be an exception raised
when you query its state. In other words, if it can potentially raise then
it should be obj.method() instead of object.property.