> Sage seems to use the definition from Concrete Mathematics by Graham,
> Knuth and Patashnik:
> That gives e.g.
>  sage: binomial(-4, 5)
>  -56

Right. GKP call it "upper negation". If you look at my demo-function
you will see that this condition is preserved in the suggested extension
(case 3). The proposal returns a superset of the current values.

> Concrete Mathematics is seen as something
> of a bible in large parts of computer science, and it's unfortunate to
> disagree with a basic definition in there.

It /extends/ this definition. As long as k>=0 nothing will change
compared to the GKP definition. Upper negation will be untouched.

Peter