Its not that "make ptestlong" does anything special to build Sage, it just
launches our own (parallel) doctester after building the dependencies which
happen to include Sage. Makefile parallelism is some version of

    MAKE='make -j8' make

You can't really enable makefile parallelism from within the makefile, it
really needs to be specified when invoking make.

The Java thing is really annoying on OSX; Apple, in their infinite wisdom,
included a "java" binary that just pops up the nag window. So whenever a
script tries to launch java you get this popup. Sage is fine with java not
working (its only used for optional things), but we can't un-popup that nag
screen. The easiest fix is to just install java, of course...