Sorry if I sounded rude or disrispectful, It wasn't my intention at all.

Let me try to redeem myself by proposing some constructive proposal: what
about a function/method level mark (be it a decorator or a comment)?

It could have more benefits than just treating correctly the doctests. It
could also help, for instance, creating a documentation section
automatically, or even not exposing the function at all if the
corresponding package is not installed.

Of course, this idea has many drawbacks: the optional functionality might
deppend only on certain parameters (e.g. the 'algorithm' keyword)... but
maybe they could be worked out.