IMHO pip-type Sage packages should be limited to a) when we need a specific
version or b) when it is required as a dependency.

Whatever the official user-facing installation command is (i.e. "sage -i"
right now) should just fall back to pip/PyPI when there is no specific
package in Sage.

Ideally it will behave like dnf/yum/apt/... and
1. Display what will be installed (including dependencies, free/nonfree
license information, package type, ...)
2. Ask whether that was intended (y/N) unless overridden with a commandline
switch "-y"
3. Only then do it

On Wednesday, April 20, 2016 at 12:04:12 PM UTC+2, Dima Pasechnik wrote:

> Specifically, Jeroen says that `sage -i blah` is more user-friendly, as
> opposed to `sage --pip install blah`.
> I argue that this is not true, e.g. as `sage -i` is not something that can
> be reverted, whereas `sage --pip` can.
>
> I could also say that `sage -i blah` on packages which are behind the
> scene are installed by doing `sage --pip blah`
> is an example of misleading the user into thinking that Sage treats `blah`
> in some special way, something that a commercial
> system would gladly do, but an open-source system should avoid as a
> plague.
>
> On Wednesday, April 20, 2016 at 9:46:18 AM UTC+1, Dima Pasechnik wrote:
>>
>> there is a discussion on http://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/20472
>> along these lines - PyX is an old-style optional package, apparently not`
>> required by anything in Sage.
>> IMHO it should just be removed, as one can do 'sage --pip install PyX'
>> just fine.
>> Jeroen instead wants to add yet another new-style optional package...

>>> pip-installable).
>>> But the rest ought to be inspected. E.g.
>>> cunningham_tables-1.0.spkg
>>> database_jones_numfield-v4.spkg