On Sat, May 7, 2016 at 9:02 AM, Dima Pasechnik <dimp...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, I know, I was puzzled by this some time ago too. The reason for all
> this mess is that in order to make
> a relocatable Sage binary (more precisely, a bunch of relocateable libs etc)
> that uses rpath, it has to be built at a location that will allow
> pattern-matching on binaries to work (so it has to be some long and
> convoluted string).
> Thus your usual directory where you build Sage won't work.

Thank you for the explanation.   I wish that instead of breaking all
the existing stuff, we had just made the new parts and left the old as
an option.  (I realize the proper rpath support is useful for OS X,
etc., but it is a pain.)  Definitely one  very useful aspect of Sage,
which I had worked very hard to make, is completely gone now.

 -- Wiliam

William (http://wstein.org)