On Fri, May 20, 2016 at 8:04 PM, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Somebody with possibly substantial grant funds asked me today:  "How
> much might it cost to get Sage to work with Python3?"
>
> I don't know.   Anybody have any thoughts?   Is there anybody reading
> this who wishes they could spend several months getting Sage to fully
> work with Python3 instead of teaching Calculus?

Based on previous experience with porting large code-bases I'd wager
something around 4 person-months.

With any luck it could be less.  So much of Sage is Cython-oriented it
would get a lot of Python 3 support "for free", but even Cython
modules would be best ported over to use Python 3-isms too.  The other
good news is that so much of Sage is numerically oriented and not as
likely to have string-related issues in as many places.  Some of the
trickier I/O related code is bound up in pexpect which already works
with Python 3.

So my bet is that the majority of effort will be slogging through the
test suite to make sure everything is passing.  Doctests are
notoriously tricky to make fully Python 2/3 compatible.  But many of
the issues can be addressed through custom doctest flags / output
checkers.  I did some work like this to get all of Astropy's doctests
working across Python versions, but Astropy has orders of magnitude
fewer doctests than Sage (since it relies more on unit tests).

Erik