> Breaking "print a" will cause a truly epic level of pain to our users for
> no real gain...  So much so that probably no matter what is decided here I
> would fork sage to add handling this to the pre-processor for sage on SMC.
> I'm here from endless users (eg each year at the sage booth) about minor
> deprecations that piss them off.  This print thing will be horrible.
>  Truly horrible.
> (Personally i really like Python3 and the new print function. However, I
> (and you) are not the only user of sage.)

I also think that this will annoy a lot of users. On the other hand,
Python 3 is already old, and the transition has to come at some point.
In 2020, at the latest we shouldn't be supporting Python 2 at all.

Perhaps a tolerable amount of pain would be to do the deprecation in
several steps:

1) For year, issue only a deprecation *the first time* "print a" is used
in a session.
2) After that, for X years, issue a deprecation warning *every time*
"print a" is used.
3) After that, remove support for "print a" completely.

Best,
Johan