I tried to do archeology once for this one and found nothing conclusive...

By the way, I've forwarded all of our patches/hackery to Victor Shoup some
monthes/years ago and he said he'll try to integrate them.
Maybe it's time to politely ask once again about what has not been
integrated (e.g. shipping its own libtool).