On Mon, Jun 6, 2016 at 5:09 AM, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Yesterday a machine at UW (the one hosting *.sagenb.org) was attacking
> other computers, so the UW shut it down.
> Today trac, the wiki, and many other machines crashed.
>
> I'm traveling, so can't look into the hardware anytime soon.  Morever,
> the situation is that there is nobody else who will either.  I ran out
> of money, and had to focus on other things, so what's left of the UW
> sage-related compute infrastructure is basically dead now.
>
> I've created two VM's on Google compute engine (running the same OS --
> Ubuntu 12.04 -- as trac and wiki) and pointed
>
>    http://trac.sagemath.org/    and    http://wiki.sagemath.org/
>
> at them with a message that both sites are down.
>
> Thierry said he has a recent backup of the wiki data on the VM hosting
> wiki.sagemath.org, but will wait a day or two before providing it.
>
> I have a backup of trac.sagemath.org from May 26, which might be
> valid.  However, I think the only person who understands the trac
> setup is Andrew Ohana, and he hasn't been involved in a very long
> time...
>
> The options I can think of right now:
>
> 1. Wait an indefinite amount of time to see if somehow magically the
> machines come back.

Probably not.

> 2. Move all Sage development to github:   https://github.com/sagemath/sage
>   I just re-enabled the github issues page, etc.
> There is also a wiki here https://github.com/sagemath/sage/wiki
> At some point migrate the data on wiki.sagemath.org to github (maybe
> remove all images if that is a problem).
> Eventually, bring trac.sagemath.org back in read only mode and copy
> over all open tickets to github issues,
> via some python script that goes through the trac database and creates
> github tickets.

-1

I think one of the best things about Sage's development is that it's
using Trac.  GitHub's issue tracker is awful by comparison, especially
for the volume of issues Sage generates.

> 3. Configure trac.sagemath.org and wiki.sagemath.org so they work
> again using the most recent backups.

If anyone needs help with the Trac configuration I used to be a
developer of Trac and know it rather well.  As long as somehow has a
backup of the database and the config file it should be easy enough to
get up and running again.

Best,
Erik