Hi leif,

> Well, it's apparently just that your toolchain isn't using binutils
> consistently; usually LLVM's tools get installed as 'llvm-ar' and
> 'llvm-ranlib', or they don't get installed into the default PATH.

I don't have llvm-ar or llvm-ranlib installed AFAIK (they're in the
package llvm which I don't have. I have llvm-libs, lib32-llvm-libs and
clang, though. Also locate shows up nothing.).

> You may try to reinstall binutils or create appropriate symlinks along
> PATH (such that 'ar' and 'ranlib' originate from them), but I have no
> idea whether that's at all related to your main problem.

"pacman -Qo `which ar`" tells me binutils already owns the main ar (and
ranlib).

> P.S.:  Downgrading GCC of course (in this case at least) also downgrades
> libstdc++ (to 6.0.21), so programs and libraries built against the newer
> one are borked.  If the newer libstdc++ didn't get removed, it's
> probably just a matter of symlinking libstdc++.so.6 back to the more
> recent one, presumably libstdc++.so.6.0.22 (from GCC 6.1).

Oh yeah, that probably explains why llvm expects a GLIBCXX which is not
in my current /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6. I've downgraded llvm and trying a
"make distclean && make" again.

Best,
Johan