On Tue, Jul 26, 2016 at 10:19 AM, VulK <etn45...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
> Some time ago I briefly played with Bash on Ubuntu on Windows with some
> limited success. The situation dramatically improved recently. I would risk
> saying that our nightmares to support windows are nearly over.
>

>         Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.14393]
>         (c) 2016 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
>
>         C:\Users\VulK>bash
>         root@DESKTOP-U13FH0M:/mnt/c/Users/VulK# uname -a
>         Linux DESKTOP-U13FH0M 3.4.0+ #1 PREEMPT Thu Aug 1 17:06:05 CST 2013
> x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>         root@DESKTOP-U13FH0M:~# apt-add-repository -y ppa:aims/sagemath
>         root@DESKTOP-U13FH0M:~# apt-get update
>         root@DESKTOP-U13FH0M:~# apt-get install sagemath-upstream-binary
>         root@DESKTOP-U13FH0M:/mnt/c/Users/VulK# sage
>
>          SageMath version 7.2, Release Date: 2016-05-15
>          Type "notebook()" for the browser-based notebook interface.
>          Type "help()" for help.
>
>         sage: 2+2
>         4
>         sage:
>

> even the notebook seems to work just fine. I did not play with x11 yet.
>
> If I am not mistaken Bash should be available to everyone with the upcoming
> windows update without the need to install a developer preview.
> Best
> S.
>

> TLDR: there is no need to support windows directly any more: it can now run
> executables compiled for Ubuntu

I disagree for a few reasons:

1) This is not available to all Windows users.
2) Currently this feature is intended as a developer tool only;
Microsoft has stated explicitly that it is not intended for end-user
application distribution on Windows.  That said, I see no reason it
couldn't be used that way, but there are limitations to its use for
that purpose.  For example, it is a walled garden--it is not possible,
for example, to run native applications within the "bash" environment
3) It's unclear what performance impact this has over a native
application.  Less, certainly, than using Cygwin.

Probably others as well.