On Tuesday, 26 July 2016 20:13:56 UTC-6, William wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 26, 2016 at 1:04 PM, Paul Masson <paulm...@comcast.net
> <javascript:>> wrote:
> > What about a "packages" repository on GitHub just to store files?
>
> I was also going to suggest that.  A drawback is we would have to add
> all trac users to the Github repo, so hundreds and hundreds of people,
> many probably not even on github right now.     So the overhead of a
> common repo that everyone uses would be prohibitive.
>
> Of course, people could just put their own packages in a repo and post
> a link to that.  I assume this was already obvious to Andrey though,
> and he considers it to be too much of a pain.
>
>  -- William

Actually, it was not (in my defence I didn't give it much sort). What I
used to do was copy it to sage.math.washington.edu and post a link (which
was conveniently wget-able). It was obvious and easy to do. Uploading a
file to trac would be even easier and more obvious and would not require
any extra setup/thinking/knowledge on my part. It also would be so obvious,
that there would be no need to even document it somehow. Any other
service/solution needs to be explained in the documentation guide and kept
up-to-date when something changes.

So personally I really really prefer being able to upload bigger files to
trac directly from the ticket page. What's the point of backing up
attachments there forever anyway? With mercurial attachments were patches.
Now I think they tend to be some screenshots or log files or something
which is not quite as crucial. With disk snapshots there is a fallback and
a more resilient backup can be concerned only with what people have typed,
i.e. the code and discussions themselves. Perhaps it is also possible just
keep the current 2MB limits for picking attachments that have to be backed
up in case we do care about screenshots.

Thank you,
Andrey