On Tuesday, August 9, 2016 at 2:31:16 AM UTC-5, Jeroen Demeyer wrote:

> On 2016-08-09 00:21, Travis Scrimshaw wrote:
> > If we do this, then deprecation warnings would also get full tracebacks,
> > which is something I think we should not have on by default.
>
> Why not? It's not that you need to put the complete traceback in the
> doctest, you can use ... for that. So you would only see the traceback
> if a doctest fails, and then the traceback can actually be useful.

It would be useful when you have something deep in the code (which is
probably not something deep in Sage's source code, but in your personal
code) that you need to remove. However, it could be seen as annoying, or
worse, scary because it would look so much like an error traceback, to a
typical user who just wants to run some simple code. Yes, they should
change, but it can be hard to break simple habits.

> > However, it
> > might be good to have an option somewhere to enable is (and hopefully it
> > won't get lost in the forest that is Sage).
>
> Well, it seems we both agree that there are too many options already.

Actually, it is more of it getting lost in everything, not that there are
too many options. Something simple like changing the deprecation message to
indicate that this option is there would alleviate this.

Best,
Travis