On 18 August 2016 at 01:59, Nils Bruin <nbr...@sfu.ca> wrote:
> On Wednesday, August 17, 2016 at 3:25:31 PM UTC-7, Bill Page wrote:
>>

>> It turns out that a solution is now "hidden away" in plain sight:
>>
>> https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/18640
>>
>> http://sagemanifolds.obspm.fr/doc/18640/reference/manifolds/sage/manifolds/utilities.html
>>

> And also note the warning that's in the documentation there already: (*)
> """
> Note that D[1](g)(x, f(x,y)) is rendered as d(g)/d(f(x, y)).
> """
> How is that unambiguous?

I think that there was no claim that it was unambiguous and therefore
it implies that some ambiguity would be tolerated. But this has
already been argued ad infinitum and apparently that has resulted in
the current stalemate. As I said, I think Sage needs a solution to
this problem, not more discussion.

> Maple internally uses the same representation for derivatives as Pynac does
> (as far as I can tell) and it has a reasonable heuristic:
>
> The expression:
>
> D[i](f)(x1,...,xn)
>
> can be rendered as (df/dxi)(x1,...,xn) if x1,...,xn are *distinct* pure
> variables or if n=1. Otherwise, render it D[i](f)(x1,...,xn). This is
> something that the standard expression renderer could do. It just requires a
> bit more work because "function application rendering" would need to inspect
> its function for the presence of an FDerivativeOperator.

Sage mantra: Open a ticket, provide some code ...  :)

Bill Page.