On Fri, Aug 26, 2016 at 4:15 PM, leif <not.rea...@online.de> wrote:
> Thierry wrote:
>>>
>>> It's only a convenient user interface: the user does not need to know
>>> whether a package is available using pip or as Sage package: "./sage -i
>>> PKGNAME" will work.
>>
>> Shall we flood the pkg directory just in case someone needs to install
>> trac or mercurial ? The list of potentially interesting packages is pretty
>> huge: https://www.scipy.org/topical-software.html
>>
>> Wouldn't it be better to advise the user that s·he can use 'sage -pip
>> install' when a package does not exist ?
>
> When a package does not exist, we shouldn't advise the user to (try to)
> install it. ;-)
>

> I agree though that type=='pip' is a bit useless at the moment, and
> doesn't fit the other "types".  (See also comments from Erik and me on
> the neighbour thread on R regarding what package types we'd need...)

I would just as soon do away with "type=='pip'" and instead have a
standard `pip install` wrapper script that a package's spkg-install
symlinks too.  Maybe still something in there somewhere to note that
it's not a standard sage package and is instead installed from PyPI,
but I don't know that the package type is the appropriate metadata for
that, though I can see why it was used originally.  (Maybe such a
package could be called "external"--i.e. not really part of sage at
all, and having dependencies not necessarily from sage either--in
principle such an external package could come from many possible
sources too, not just pip/PyPI--but that's getting ahead of myself).